New Program Template
STAR Program, a DDRC program through State of AK DSDS
What is STAR?
The Short Term Assistance and Referral (STAR) Program assists individuals with intellectual & developmental disabilities (IDD) and their families access services through State of Alaska Programs.
The STAR Program assists individuals with developmental disabilities and their families wishing to access services through State of Alaska Developmental Disabilities Programs. The STAR Program is often the “point of entry” for accessing services. Assistance may include: applying for eligibility; referral to a wide variety of resources in their home community; completing forms and gathering documentation for Medicaid, the Registration and Review, other public programs; and/or applying for Mini-Grants. (direct from State of AK website)
In order to be eligible for IDD services through the State of Alaska, an individual must have an IDD determination. Completing the application and paperwork in order to receive this determination is a long and sometimes difficult process. The STAR Program helps individuals and their families work through this process to help alleviate some of the burden.
The STAR Coordinator can assist with the following:
- Applying for IDD eligibility
- Waitlist registration assistance
- Referral to community resources
- Completing forms and gathering documentation for Medicaid
- Medicaid registration and review
- Referral to other public programs
- Mini-Grant applications
- Short-Term case management
The STAR Coordinator will help develop strategies and natural supports to help participants achieve stability and independence.
Who is eligible?
The State of Alaska defines IDD as a severe, chronic disability that:
- Is attributable to a mental or physical impairment or combination of both
- Is manifested before age 22 and is likely to continue indefinitely
- Results in substantial functional limitation in three or more of the following areas of major life activity:
– Receptive and expressive language
– Capacity for independent living
– Economic self sufficiency
(WHO IS ELIGIBLE ALL COPIED FROM FRA’s WEBSITE)
What areas do we serve?
ACCA provides STAR services in the following regions:
- Fairbanks North Star Borough
- North Slope Borough
- Southeast Fairbanks Census Area
- Yukon Koyukuk Census Area
To see a detailed map showing the communities within these areas, click HERE.
For information or to make a referral for STAR services, please contact:
(907) 456-4003 ext. TBD
Note: STAR Services were provided by FRA (Fairbanks Resource Agency) until June of 2019. If you previously received STAR services through FRA, please feel free to call ACCA for more information about how to continue your services through our agency.